Life & CareerEdit
Gemma was born and raised in Gravesend, Kent, UK. Her parents divorced when she was age 5, and so Gemma lived with her younger sister and her mother. Her father is a welder and her mother a cleaner. They encouraged their children to explore their creative abilities. Gemma's sister, Hannah, liked to sing, whereas Gemma chose acting.
During her teenage years, she was part of the Masquerade and Miskin theater companies, appearing in productions of The Massacre of Civitella and Guiding Star. In 2004, she won an award for Best Supporting Actress, which helped her to win a grant to study at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA).
Whilst studying at RADA, she landed her first professional role in Capturing Mary (2007) (TV), directed by Stephen Poliakoff and starring Maggie Smith. Gemma graduated from RADA in 2007 and won her first film role in St. Trinian's (2007). Her breakthrough role came in 2008, when she appeared in the James Bond film Quantum of Solace (2008). In 2009, she was the winner of Empire's Best Newcomer Award.
- Raised by a single mother.
- She has a younger sister called Hannah (b. 1989).
- Featured in Empire Magazine's "The Hot List" as one of the biggest upcoming stars in the 2010's. Other people on the list were Channing Tatum, Zoe Saldana, Marion Cotillard, Mia Wasikowska and "Clash of the Titans" co-star Sam Worthington.
- Were filming her last scene for "A Deal Is a Deal" when she was told, she had won the part in "Quantum of Solace".
- Beat out 1500 other actresses for her role in "Quantum of Solace".
|Cast and Crew|
|Crew||Neil Jordan - Javier Navarrete - Moira Buffini - Sharon Harel-Cohen|
|Cast||Barry Cassin - Caleb Landry Jones - Daniel Mays - Gemma Arterton - Jonny Lee Miller - Kate Ashfield - Maria Doyle Kennedy - Sam Riley - Saoirse Ronan - Thure Lindhardt - Tom Hollander - Uri Gavriel - Warren Brown|